Is my pregnant wife a secret superhero?

I don’t believe in unicorns, ghosts or magic, but the signs that I’m living with a secret superhero are proving increasingly difficult to ignore. Now firmly into the third trimester of our first pregnancy, I’m convinced that my wife has super powers…

Superhero wife

My wife, the superhero

First up, in the same way that all good superheroes start out, she’s been busy hand-stitching her own super-unique superhero costume. After bidding on, buying and borrowing piles of maternity clothes, she’s spent hours personally tailoring every item to fit over her ever-growing bump. Seriously, there’s enough elastic and stretchy fabric in our flat to make even spandex-loving Spider-Man blush.

Then, just like my favourite superhero Batman, she’s managed to successfully cultivate her very own bat cave (otherwise known as our spare room / soon to be nursery). Filled with years’ worth of her ‘very important treasures’ and piled high with boxes and old furniture, only she knows how to access her secret lair safely.

To top it off, she’s now started adding swathes of weird and wonderful gadgets to her collection too, including an amber glowing Gro-egg, a funny looking bath thermometer and a truly terrifying breast pump. Bat Girl, eat your heart out.

Like every good superhero, she’s also taken to disappearing off on what can only be described as ‘secret missions’. Whether coming home late from work or popping out unexpectedly, she inevitably returns in a shroud of mystery with an armload of superhero swag (usually hidden innocently within John Lewis, Pure Baby and Mothercare shopping bags), which she secretly stashes somewhere deep in her bat cave. The plot thickens…

Desire Spend Consume Repeat Jeremy Brooks via Compfight

And then there’s her absolute fearlessness. Just like hammer-wielding superhero Thor, her adrenaline junkie spirit is in overdrive. Despite being heavily pregnant, she continues to tuck into forbidden foods like oysters and sushi, and recently braved the freezing cold and rough Cornish seas to get her surfing fix during our recent holiday. Quite literally, laughing in the face of danger…

She’s even adopted certain characteristics from the most temperamental of superheroes, The Hulk. Although I haven’t seen her turn green yet (apart from during the first trimester’s morning sickness phase), without doubt she’s started bulging out of her clothes. And it’s safe to say, with the inevitable pregnancy mood swings, you don’t want to make her angry…you wouldn’t like her when she’s angry…

Unfortunately, still no signs coming through of Superwoman’s super human strength…quite the opposite in fact; she leaves all the heavy lifting to me these days.

However that could be because her powers have been hindered by her own special strain of Kryptonite (otherwise known in our house as dust and my smelly socks). She doesn’t seem to mind too much though…even just mention the word ‘hoover’ to her and she gets immediately struck down by one of her ‘super human headaches’. Clearly that’s a job she’s happy to delegate to her ever-trusty sidekick YOU THE DADDY (AKA me)…

At the end of the day, you might not believe me when I say I’m married to a superhero. After all, my pregnant wife doesn’t have a super-villain arch nemesis wreaking havoc around the City of London. She doesn’t have a secret identity and, no, she doesn’t fight crime.

But she is doing something, arguably, even more incredible than all of that; she’s growing an actual human being inside her. And if that isn’t a sure fire sign of her superhero status, well, I don’t know what is.

My wife, ladies and gentlemen…but you can call her Wonder Woman.

Wonder WomanCreative Commons License Julian Fong via Compfight

Just 11 weeks and six days left to go…

So did your pregnant partner demonstrate any super powers during pregnancy? Or have you taken on any of my wife’s superhero traits yourself? As always, we’d love to hear from you, so please do share your stories with the group via the comments section below!

And for more daily updates, you can also stay in touch with YOUTHEDADDY via Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook!

Life Love and Dirty Dishes

15 Comments

1. 13th February 2017 / 8:39 pm

This is wicked thoughtful and super fun to read. I love this

2. 11th August 2016 / 6:21 pm

Funny & sweet! Yes, definitely a superhero – the super human strength wil be coming for the birth! I had a Batcave too!

Thanks so much for joining us on #FridayFrolics. Hope to see you next time!

3. 7th August 2016 / 11:01 am

Oh I love this post! I am now going to tell my husband that he is married to Wonder Woman. Not sure he will buy it! I am sure you will be even more in awe of her her superhero powers after the labour! #FridayFrolics

4. 7th August 2016 / 12:39 am

Awe this was another fab post, you got the balance of humour and the fact that your wife is indeed awesome. Super dad in the making here I think #fridayfrolics

5. 6th August 2016 / 9:25 pm

Just wait until the birth. Then she really will be a superhero. 🙂 Thanks for linking up to #FridayFrolics

6. 5th August 2016 / 7:56 pm

Aww I love this post! Funny but so lovely too, she is absolutely wonder woman!!! #fridayfrolics

• YOU THE DADDY
      5th August 2016 / 10:50 pm

Ah, thanks so much. She really is!

7. 3rd August 2016 / 5:52 am

No doubt about it, she is definitely a superhero. I think you’ll be even more surprise once she’d popped! Thank you so much for joining us on #FabFridayPost

8. 30th July 2016 / 9:57 pm

Ha ha, of course she’s a superhero. Love the bat cave reference! #fabfridaypost

9. 30th July 2016 / 9:53 pm

Love the fact your little superhero has a bat cave where she hides newfound treasures 🙂

Growing a baby is such a super human power and just wait until that gorgeous baby arrives. Miracles in the making!

10. 30th July 2016 / 3:12 pm

She is indeed a super hero trust me I have been there twice! I’m sure your super powers will appear very soon and will probably coincide with the first signs of layout and will develop every day from then on. After all you are right, all superheroes need their super side kick. Good luck #fabfridaypost

11. 29th July 2016 / 3:20 pm

Yay of course pregnant mamas are super heroes! I’d say that women are super heroes full stop but then I would….being a woman. I love that you’re so on board with your wife’s pregnancy and that you can’t wait to be a dad..it’s lovely. Nice to come over to your blog, it’s great. Tor x #FabFridayPost

12. 29th July 2016 / 11:06 am

Definitely sounds like a super hero, although I think all mommy’s and daddy’s are! #FabFridayPost

13. 29th July 2016 / 8:13 am

I love this post. Of course she is a wonder woman. But don’t worry, you are a hero too I am sure LOL. #FabFridayPost

14. 6th July 2016 / 7:59 pm

Okay so I def think she may be a super hero – but then most mummys and daddys are!! I am sure you have a bit of inner super hero in you too. Question is…. are you wearing your pants on the outside or are you doing a clark kent on us?!

Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime